Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Joy's Summer Love Playlist: A Book Review



Looking for the perfect summer read? Honestly, this book has it all: a fake relationship, pop-culture references, singing, and a carefree summer before college starts. This book honestly reminded me of my own summer after graduation (though without the fake relationship, thank goodness), when you still feel like a teen, but you're about to become a full adult. It's a fun, light read that you can easily finish it in an afternoon because it definitely pulls you in.

Okay so first, Joy has a great character voice. You get right in her head and right in her heart, and her voice stays true throughout. She is incredibly loyal and selfless, even to a fault. Cale and Jin are also amazing characters. You've got Cale's humor and easy friendship, and Jin's sexiness and soft-heartedness. I'm totally #teamjin myself, but I loved both of them and their relationships with Joy.

Piper Bee has written a solid debut. There's definitely tension with the plot and subplots weaving together, and it's easy to get lost in the story and keep turning pages. The characters are solid, and the themes are hopeful and inspiring. There were a few small things that distracted me from the story, but Piper's writing is overall funny, relatable, and delightful. I can't wait to read more from her!

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Piper Bee, for the review copy!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment