Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Into the Heartless Wood: A Book Review


This is the third Joanna Ruth Meyer novel I've read. I loved Echo North, disliked Beyond the Shadowed Earth, and was unimpressed with this one. I think the greatest complaint I have for Into the Heartless Wood is that there's a lot of torture and abuse in this book. Normally, that creates tension. But it happened so much in this book that by the end, I was just frustrated and disgusted with it. Additionally, the characters felt removed from me as a reader, and I didn't connect with them at all. It's a weak gender-flipped Beauty and the Beast retelling at best, and I honestly was a bit disappointed. I also got tired of all the random line breaks in some chapters. All in all, this one wasn't for me. 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 3
Plot/Movement: 2
Character Development: 2
Overall: 2

Thank you, Page Street, for the review copy!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment