Thursday, April 13, 2017

Dead Cadavers and Star Deaths


As finals draw near, and inevitably bring with it long days of studying and short nights of sleeping, I need more simplicity in my life. Who am I to talk about simplicity though? Me, who never has a dull day where I sit around and read books. Sounds too good to be true.

For the next two weeks, I will be studying until cerebral brain matter pours out my auditory canals (thanks Anatomy lab) while dreaming about sitting outside and reading books. I will be dreaming about simplicity.

My daily study schedule for finals looks something like this:

Anatomy Lab: 4-6 hours. Poke at dead cadavers until the stench of formaldehyde permanently stains my clothes and hair.

Anatomy Lecture: 3 hours. Look at pictures of dissected kidneys and memorize functions of various physiological systems.

Astronomy: 1-2 hours. Memorize patterns of star deaths, unique characteristics of our planets, and apply Einstein’s laws to black holes. Don’t forget about dark matter.

Psychology: 1 hour. Don’t worry. The professor will list every single question on the test for your study guide. Pretend to memorize it.

Studies in Literature: 2 hours. Finish that eight-page paper about the influence of loss shown in books Salt to the Sea and Once was Lost (I personally recommend Salt to the Sea).

Foundations of the Restoration: 2 hours. Fill out study guide and review stories about Joseph Smith and the doctrines of the Restoration.

And through it all, cerebral brain matter will be pouring out of my auditory canals. Yay for finals.

There is something that is getting me through, though. My secret? Reading words.

Even with all the things piling up, I find joy in reading the words of others – fiction or not. Right now, it’s Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. I find five minutes here, half an hour there, and allow myself to get lost.

When I read, I forget about the dead cadavers and star deaths. Einstein’s laws didn’t matter at that moment – only the feeling of dry pages between my fingers and the rhythm of words in my mind. It turns into lovely opportunity to explore, feel, and discover. I am happy.

I have found that there is hope and simplicity in doing the things we love. That is the secret.

That being said, please excuse me while I go back to spend more time with my friends, the dead cadavers. To find me, follow the stench of formaldehyde, the trail of cerebral brain matter pouring out my ears, or the sounds of pages turning. It shouldn’t be hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment