Sunday, October 20, 2019

Refraction: A Book Review



I never read sci fi. Never. In fact, Refraction by Naomi Hughes is the first sci fi book I've picked up in 2019. And I absolutely loved it. The description on the back of the book drew me in right away. Monsters coming out of mirrors? Fog and monsters taking over the world? A character in an illegal mirror trade? It sounded so intriguing and unique that I had to give it a try. I'm so glad I did.

The story follows Marty, an illegal mirror trader who is trying to find his brother who he hasn't seen since the alien ship came and monsters started coming out of mirrors. But he gets caught by the mayor's son, Elliot, and they get exiled to an abandoned city in the fog where the monsters run wild. And as they try to survive their exile, they start to find out more about the the monsters, the mirrors, and the destruction that's coming. It's one of those books you can't put down.

One of my favorite things about this book is the enemies-to-friends relationship between Marty and Elliot. It is perfectly done and adds a great element to the story. I also love the OCD representation through Marty. It plays a real part in his life and this book has some great messages to those who are dealing with it and how to help those who are dealing with it.

Pick this book up if you want a great sci fi story that has twists you won't see coming and a unique concept. It will keep you hooked until the end and I guarantee I'll keep thinking about it for days to come.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 5
Character Development: 5
Overall: 5

Thank you Page Street Publishing for the ARC! This book will be published November 5, 2019.

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment