Sunday, October 13, 2019

Holly Banks Full of Angst: A Book Review



Holly Banks's arrival in the village of Primm brings on a crazy adventure, complete with a crazy PTA president, her daughter's first days of kindergarten, and learning the "hip" ways of Primm. Every chapter has craziness, humor, cringing, and mom life, and the plot moves quite fast, taking place in only a week. In fact, the plot is so fast that I needed a break from all the craziness. And many of the things that happened seemed too unrealistic and too crazy to me. How many bad things can happen in a week? Apparently a lot. It was like watching a mom version of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day on repeat and it gave me anxiety, if I'm being honest. I also don't know if I am supposed to take this book seriously, or if it's a satire on mom life and the PTA. Maybe both?

The writing in this book is perfect. I loved the fake swearing, the screenplay, texting, and email formats thrown in, and the humor. The characters are also entertaining, though perhaps somewhat unrealistic (looking at you, Mary-Margaret). I enjoyed the relationships between the characters and the positive message of standing up for yourself, working together, and loving people around you.

Overall, this book is fun, if not a little crazy. I would recommend it to moms who want a good laugh and want a reminder that it could be a lot worse, especially in the village of Primm.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 2
Character Development: 3.5
Overall: 3

Thank you Lake Union Publishing for the ARC! This book will be released November 1, 2019.

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment