Sunday, March 15, 2020

The Henna Artist: A Book Review



This beautiful, lush story takes place in vibrant India in the 1950s. Lakshmi, after running away from her abusive husband, makes a living by making herbal remedies and being a henna artist. But everything changes when her little sister she never knew she had turns up, homeless, lost, and known as the "Bad Luck Girl." 

It's no secret that I love reading about India and its culture. The Henna Artist delivered. It is so richly drenched in Indian culture with food, clothing, castes, hennas, herbs, and Jaipur, India. I felt drawn to Lakshmi because of her ambition, work ethic, reason, feminism, and loyalty. It was an absolute pleasure to follow her throughout the book. She has a solid character arc as well as her sister, Rahda. The plot is well paced and had lots of tension to keep me reading—I couldn't put this book down all day. The writing flows very well. I would definitely recommend to those who love reading about India and about woman fighting for their future. A great debut by Alka Joshi.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 5
Overall: 4

Thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin-Mira for the ARC!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment