Monday, March 30, 2020

Night Spinner: A Book Review



I've never read a retelling of The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. But I am thoroughly impressed with Addie Thorley's Night Spinner. Enebish is a monster. After destroying a caravan of innocent people with her dark night magic, she is disfigured and sent to live a traitorous and lonely life in a monastery. But her life changes yet again when her stepsister offers her the opportunity to be reinstated as a warrior if Enebish captures a deserter in the midst of a war. But when she leaves the monastery, she discovers that the war is a lot worse than she thought and she's not sure who to trust anymore.

This book is chock full of twists and turns, and I honestly didn't see hardly any of them coming. I loved Enebish as a character because she is an ugly, maimed traitor—you don't see this a lot in YA fiction. Enebish was refreshing, and I learned and was betrayed right alongside her. Her character arc is strong, and I can't wait to see it fulfilled in the next book.

Speaking of the next book, I need it immediately. Night Spinner took me a couple chapters to get into, but after that it sucked me in and I had to finish it as soon as possible. This is a fantastic story for fantasy and magic lovers, and especially for those who want to see something new in the YA world.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 5
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Page Street Publishing, for the ARC!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment