Thursday, December 13, 2018

Big Magic: A Book Review

Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert

I'll start with a disclaimer: I've never read Elizabeth Gilbert before, so I can't compare this to her other works. But from this book, I can say I like her writing style. She has an easy, conversational tone that jumps off the page and into the reader's soul. She has sass, strong opinions (which were interesting to consider, but I didn't always agree with), experience with craft, and the gift of encouragement, which is what every writer needs.

Some of her points on writing with devotion, courage, and the writing life ring with truth. Basically, this book felt like an updated, Gilbert-version of On Writing by Stephen King, which I also love. However, some of Gilbert's points on voodoo inspiration were hard for me to grasp. I don't think I believe in voodoo. But it was entertaining to consider. I also love Gilbert's topics in this book that she organizes into sections: Courage, Enchantment, Permission, Persistence, Trust, and Divinity. I think my favorite is Persistence.

Gilbert's book is unique in the way that it doesn't just lend itself to writers, but creators of all kinds. She does focus on writing more because her craft is writing. But I feel there are enough general points on inspiration, ideas, imagination, and craft that anyone could benefit from this read. I did. My book's pages are full of underlining.

I plan on incorporating this book into my regular reading list because of its inspirational value. After reading this, I made a commitment to devote myself to my writing and rereading the parts I underline give me inspiration and motivation to keep that commitment.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Content: 3.5
Inspiration/Value: 5
Overall: 4

Would I recommend? Yes, to all creators.

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment