Tuesday, September 21, 2021

When Night Breaks: A Book Review


This was a fun duology with sparkling magic, haunted mirrors, and dark secrets. I really enjoyed the first book, Where Dreams Descend, and mildly liked the sequel, When Night Breaks. I think my biggest complaint about this sequel was the pacing. The first half was entirely too slow, and it had my pet peeve of the love interests being separated for a large portion of the book. In fact, I didn't find myself being particularly impressed with this book until the ending, which is a shame. Plus, the ending left a lot of questions unanswered and loopholes that bothered me. But still, I found the prose well-written, and it had interesting characters and deep world building. 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 3
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 4
Overall: 3

Thank you, Wednesday Books and NetGalley, for the ARC!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment