Saturday, April 6, 2019

The Phantom Tree: A Book Review



I finally finished this! After a lot of false starts (which had nothing to do with the book and everything to do with library/book review deadlines), I finished this stunning historical fiction masterpiece. However, the book did start slow for me, and I didn't feel fully invested until about halfway through. But after that, I couldn't put it down.

I love the focus on the mysterious Mary Seymour. We don't know much about her life, but I love the possibility of her being a seer witch. I also love the added fictional character Alison. Their enemy/friend relationship was an interesting twist, though I viewed them more as friends than enemies.

I also thought the time travel was well done. I don't love books with time travel, especially when it involves characters in modern time looking for clues. But it was okay in this book. Perhaps because I felt the focus of the story was with Mary, not necessarily with Alison (which is strange, because the entire goal of the story is to find Alison's son). I loved reading Mary's side a lot more, and thought that the plot surrounding her was well done and interesting.

There are some reservations I have with this book. As I mentioned before, it does have a slow start. And I wish there was more relationship building between Alison and Adam. Even though they had a past relationship, I wanted to see more of their present one.

To end on a positive note, I did end up loving this book. I loved the characters, the time travel, and especially the ending. I think I would read this again.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 3.5
Overall: 4

Would I recommend? Yes, especially to those who love historical fiction.

*Thank you Sarah for the giveaway copy! Forever ago....

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment