Thursday, April 25, 2019

The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe: A Book Review



Ally Condie's newest book did not disappoint. I'm a fan of her expressive, choppy writing style and I was so glad to sink into it again. This book felt familiar, almost as if I was picking up Matched again, but the storyline and characters were completely different than Matched. I appreciated the different, darker feel to this book.

One thing I adore about this book is the deepness of the characters. They were constantly changing, constantly surprising me, but they also had consistent personalities and habits. I trusted none of them, but at the same time I was intrigued by them. Having a main character bent on revenge was also new to me, and added some interesting dynamics in relationships, political loyalty, and personal perception.

I also loved the pacing. It was active, tense, and took place in a short amount of time (a couple days maybe?). I liked that, especially because most of the book plots I've been reading span over long periods of time. The change of pace in this book was fresh.

I do have some critiques. I missed the deep world building of Matched. Somehow, I didn't understand the political world of this book, especially within a futuristic setting. I wish there was more to help me settle into it, and to make the ending more well-rounded and complete.

All in all, I enjoyed it and couldn't easily put it down. For that reason, I'll give it a low four stars.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Would I recommend? Sure! A must-read for Ally Condie fans.

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment