Wednesday, April 17, 2019

The Huntress: A Book Review



This book holds a whole new view of World War II, a view that I found fascinating and original. It follows the perspective of three people: Nina, a Soviet air pilot who bombs German forces; Ian, a British war correspondent who captures fugitives from the war; and Jordan, an American girl who loves her camera and is deeply observant. I loved learning about WWII and its aftermath through these three different characters. I've never read a Russian perspective of the war before, or a book that takes place soon after the war. I think this is why The Huntress captivated me initially.

Another thing that captivated me is the intrigue, mystery, and tension of the novel. Every chapter had tension, either with character development or surrounding the hunt for the huntress. That's what kept me reading, and I couldn't put this book down.

The Huntress is a solid book. The characters are deep and likable, the plot is twisty and tense, and the history is fascinating and well-mixed with the storyline. My one issue with it is it does start out slowly. But once I was a third of the way through, I found it deeply satisfying and entertaining, and not easy to put down.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 3.7
Plot/Movement: 4.5
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Would I recommend? Yes! A must-read for historical fiction lovers.

*Thank you HarperCollins for the free review copy!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment