Tuesday, June 5, 2018

The Road: A Book Review

Image result for the road book

This is another book I don’t want to part with. Although I do feel somewhat relieved to be free from its grittiness and stress. Still, Cormac McCarthy’s breathless, chilling, and masterful writing is of the most beautiful and real I’ve encountered. I want to live within his writer’s voice and hope I can see the world and its people the same way he writes about them.

Throughout this book, here are some recurring thoughts that I had:

How the heck is this going to end?
The dialogue. *fulfilling sigh* The dialogue.
This is stressful.
But beautiful and real.
I can’t put this down.


While this book did have lots of death, injury, and frightening moments (what can you expect from a post-apocalyptic survival story?), I didn’t feel pushed beyond my limit. Cormac McCarthy artfully pairs the ugly with the hopeful. This is one of my favorite parts of the book: the ugly with the hopeful. And I loved how I felt like I traveled the road with the man and the boy and felt everything they did, even though I know I couldn’t really come close to feeling what they experienced. That’s a sign of a great novel.

The Road takes place as one of my favorites of all time, with a whopping five stars.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 5
Character Development: 5
Overall: 5

Would I recommend? YES

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment