Saturday, July 27, 2019

Below: A Book Review



Inspired by Inuit mythology about the Face Stealer, this book is an action-packed story about a girl named Apaay who tries to get her sister's face back. She becomes trapped in a labyrinth and has to use every bit of strength––mental and physical––to overcome the evil Yuki and Numiak. And along the way, she discovers who she really is, even when all hope is lost.

As soon as I saw the words "Inuit mythology" and saw the gorgeous cover, I was hooked. Then I read the first page. Alexandria Warwick's writing is absolutely divine. Possibly the best I've ever read. The descriptions are sensory and visceral, the tension thick, and the flow effortless. For this reason alone, this book could have received five stars. But there's so much more to it.

Apaay is a character many people can relate to: she wants to be strong for her family and make them proud, even when they doubt her. She also wants to prove her strength to herself and find her place in the vast world. And she loves so deeply and unconditionally, even to the point that it perhaps becomes a fault. She is incredibly deep, and her character arc is strong.

The other characters are also well-done. They have secrets and lives outside of the story, bringing tension to the relationships and plot. I can't wait to learn more about them in later books.

As I mentioned, this book is fast paced and action packed. It doesn't take long to get sucked into the story because of its tension and intrigue. I do feel like the middle got a bit repetitive in the labyrinth, but it never slowed me down. And I also wish there was a romance. I suspect there will be romance in later books, so I'll hold out for that.

This book, without a doubt, is the best Indie-published book I've ever read. And I highly recommend it to fantasy lovers and those interested in Inuit mythology. I learned so much about the Inuit culture, and more generally, about the human heart. Treat yourself to this book.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 4.7
Character Development: 5
Overall: 5

Thank you to Alexandria Warwick for the ARC! This book will be released on February 4, 2020.

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment