Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Tiger Queen: A Book Review



This thrilling YA novel, by Annie Sullivan, is an expansive, adventurous retelling of Frank Stockton's short story "The Lady, or the Tiger?", which is one of my favorite short stories. I enjoyed the fast pacing of this story, the well-rounded character development, and the political mysteries of the desert kingdom Achra. The story left me constantly thinking about it, and I had to have my water nearby because I was always thirsty. The descriptions and dialogue were clear and compelling. It is a worthy retelling.

I think the strongest part of this book is the character development. Our main character, Kateri, starts off as a villain. She is a strong fighter, trained to beat her suitors in an arena to prove she is the strongest in the kingdom. But difficult circumstances mold and shape her into a completely different character, and I grew to love her. I do wish other characters in this book had as strong of a character arc. And I do wish that the romance wasn't so slow burning.

All in all, I liked this book. I would recommend this book to those who love retellings, and settings in mythical deserts.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, NetGalley and Blink, for the ARC!  This book will be released on September 10, 2019.

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment