Friday, August 2, 2019

Three Ways to Disappear: A Book Review



I honestly don't know how to rate this. I love tigers and India with all my heart, so I expected to love this book. And I just...didn't. However, it did shake me and cause me to feel deeply about how horrible the injustices of the world are.

This story follows two sisters and their journeys to finding happiness after a horrible past in India. Quinn, a wife and mother in Kentucky, tries to survive under the weight of her terrible secret. Her sister, Sarah, returns to India to find her peace by joining the Tiger Survival, a conservationist group dedicated to protecting tigers. The story follows their relationship, their relationships with others, and their relationships with their pasts. And after I finished it, I hated the world for a while because of all its ironies and injustices.

I think my expectations were too high. I expected more tigers and India. Halfway through the book, the focus shifts from tiger conservation to Quinn's and Sarah's major life problems. I should have expected this, especially because the heart of the novel is understanding human nature and relationships. But for some reason, it didn't deliver in the way I wanted it to. Also, the ending felt rushed. I felt empty. The whole story felt like a deflated balloon with too many loose ends.

I would recommend this book to those who love conservationist books, and who love adult literary fiction more than I do. The writing is fluid and easy to read, and the characters full of depth and reality. I think this book could be easily loved by others, but just not by me.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 2.5
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you to Ashland Creek Press for the review copy!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment