Thursday, April 8, 2021

Isabelle and Alexander: A Book Review



Isabelle and Alexander is a bit of an unconventional romance, but I absolutely loved it. I think it's best described as a Victorian version of Me Before You, with elements from North and South. So if you love these two books/movies, be sure to give this one a try! 

I adored the main character, Isabelle. She is the perfect mix of patience and kindness, yet she stands up for what she believes. I loved watching her navigate her relationship with Alexander.

I think my favorite part of this book is that it starts with Isabelle and Alexander already married. So often in period romances, the book ends with marriage. So it was very interesting and entertaining to read a romance starting with marriage. This book is definitely a slow burn romance, and I thought the plot was interesting and captivating. The only think I didn't like in this book was Alexander's character growth. He did have growth, but it didn't have a clear path to me. Because of this, the ending felt a little rushed and too convenient for me to really believe. But Isabelle and Alexander have such a sweet story, and I really enjoyed it all the way through. 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 5
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Shadow Mountain, for the review copy!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment