Monday, April 12, 2021

Sky Breaker: A Book Review


Let me start out by saying I really enjoyed the first book, Night Spinner. I loved the idea of a gender-bent Hunchback of Notre Dame retelling in a fantasy world with magic and warring kingdoms. Unfortunately, Sky Breaker didn't live up to the first book for me. Here are a few reasons why. 

First, Enebish started to get on my nerves with how little she trusted everyone and her generally negative attitude throughout the book. Subsequently, I didn't really care about the plot that much. Second, I didn't love Ghoa in this book. I didn't love being in her head and her ending in the book (no spoilers from me). Third, the ending overall was just a bit weird. I didn't love the sudden focus and reality of religion. It's my pet peeve when authors mix omnipotent gods with humans in the plot. 

Anyways, this book just didn't do it for me, but I do like Addie Thorley's writing. I'll be sure to visit her future books, and I'm interested to see what she does next. 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 2
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, Page Street Publishing, for the ARC!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment