Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Wind Daughter: A Book Review


Joanna Ruth Meyer's writing is so dreamy and definitely fitting of a fairytale. I enjoyed being back in the same world as Echo North, and Wind Daughter felt very much like a sequel rather than a companion novel. We get to see the main characters from Echo North and see Satu finish what they started. I would definitely recommend reading Echo North first.

I will say that I appreciated seeing a sensitive character rep in Satu, but it made her voice feel extremely young. I felt like I was reading a middle grade fantasy rather than YA (Satu seemed much younger than seventeen). And I thought this book was extremely predictable. The romance was also underdeveloped with the main characters being enemies most of the book and insta-love towards the end. It just didn't work for me. 

Overall, I liked it because it continued on the magic and lore of Echo North and we got to see Echo and Hal living their lives after. I liked the pacing of the book and the magic. But a lot of things fell short for me with the characters and romance. I think this might be my last Joanna Ruth Meyer book. While I like her writing style, her recent books haven't lived up to my expectations. 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, Page Street, for the ARC!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment