Sunday, September 4, 2022

The Dragon's Promise: A Book Review


Elizabeth Lim weaves such enchanting Chinese fairytale stories, and this duology was no different! I loved Six Crimson Cranes so much, and I was excited to pick up The Dragon's Promise. While I did overall like this sequel, it didn't quite live up to my expectations (similar with Unravel the Dusk, the sequel to Spin the Dawn). 

I think my biggest issue with this book is that the plot felt like several tangents strung together. It just didn't feel cohesive to me, and I didn't see a ton of character development because of it. I also got really annoyed with Kiki—her dialogue was immature, her mistakes drastic, and her help too convenient. Also, where was the romance in this book?? And that ending. I don't get it. 

That all being said, I still liked this book. It has some cool underwater scenes and some great parallelism to the first book. The writing is magical, and I love Shiori's relationship with her brothers. But at this point, I'm realizing I have more negative things to say than positive, and it hurts my heart to rate it 3 stars. I really did enjoy reading it, but it was a bit of a let down.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, Knopf Books and NetGalley, for the ARC!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment