Thursday, August 25, 2022

Finding Gene Kelly: A Book Review



I’m going to preface this by saying I’m not sure I’m the right audience for this book. It’s HEAVY on the endometriosis rep, so much so that it takes up the plot, character development, romance development, and basically every other aspect of the story. As someone who is lucky enough to have never dealt with endo, I found the endo rep to be a bit overwhelming. (But that’s probably the point because from what I can tell, endo is pretty overwhelming and inescapable.)

Basically, I’m having a hard time reviewing this. If you like the guy-taking-care-of-the-sick-girl trope, then you’ll definitely want to read this one. Cause that’s at least 50% of this romance. If constant mentions of pain and bodily functions bothers you in romance, then maybe skip this. 

I had a few other issues about this book. I couldn’t really connect with Evie very much. She actually annoyed me for a lot of the book. I also had issue with how the toxic-mom issue resolved, and I found the constant punning to be a bit too annoying for me. And the third-act breakup was extremely predictable.

Overall, it was a cute enemies-to-lovers romance. And I think it will connect with readers who have endo. I just don't think it was for me.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, Torie Jean, for the ARC!

Trigger/Content Warnings: endometriosis, chronic pain, toxic mom, swearing, makeouts, one brief open door(ish)

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment