Wednesday, August 16, 2023

What the River Knows: A Book Review


Are you looking for the perfect Egypt adventure book? Because look no further—this book will draw you in with its dark secrets, rich 1880s Egyptian culture, and a tense and passionate romance. 

The book caught my attention right away with Inez rushing headfirst into adventure to find out what really happened to her parents, and I love how independent she is. I'm impressed with her quick wit, bravery, and her passion for following her heart. And I absolutely love her romance with Whit. Their banter was a joy to read, and the push and pull of their romance is incredibly done. So many swoony moments!

What I really like about this book is how immersed I feel when I read it. I'm right with the characters as they sail down the Nile, dig in excavation sites, and experience the chaos of Cairo. I feel the characters' shock when secrets are discovered, and I feel their horror as the plot thickens. 

I enjoyed reading this book, though something was still missing for me to give it five stars (perhaps I was expecting to be more drawn to it; it was hard for me to pick up and start reading each time). But I'd still highly recommend!

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 5
Overall: 4

Thank you, Wednesday Books and NetGalley, for the arc!
Release Date: October 31, 2023  

Trigger/Content Warnings: kissing/make outs, gun violence and death, parent abandonment, fighting violence, kidnapping

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment