Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Lost Roses: A Book Review



Lost Roses is a worthy prequel of Lilac Girls. I don't read a lot of WWI fiction, so I enjoyed the fresh take this book offered. Like Lilac Girls, it focuses on three characters' points of view, one from America (Eliza, who is Caroline's mother from Lilac Girls) and two from Russia (Sofya and Varinka). I loved the focus on the Bolshevik Revolution and its impact on Russian nobles and peasants alike. The book did have a lot of tragedy, death, and other hard issues like sexual abuse and torture, so it was sometimes hard to read. But I loved the historical insight into this time period.

As always, Martha Hall Kelly's characters were strong, well presented, and real. It was hard for my attention to stay with Eliza though, because I was more interested in the Russian part of the story rather than the American part. Also, Varinka is a piece of work. I can't decide if I hate her or like her. I think that's a sign of a true, real-life character.

I felt the plot moved well, similar to Lilac Girls. It kept me entertained. Kelly's writing style is clear and captivating, and she crafted a beautiful story.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Would I recommend? Yes! Especially if you read Lilac Girls, or love books about the Bolshevik Revolution/the Romanovs.

Thank you Penguin Random House for the free review copy!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment