Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Call It What You Want: A Book Review



From the author of A Curse So Dark and Lonely comes a breathtaking contemporary novel about two teenagers trying to find their places in the world. I adored this book much more than I thought I would. I haven't picked up a contemporary for a long time, but this book made me want to only read contemporaries for the next month! So beautifully and thoughtfully done.

I loved the two main characters, Rob and Maegan. Both Rob and Meagan have their issues (like a father's failed suicide after being caught embezzling money and cheating on the SAT, respectively), and both are social outcasts. So when they are paired together for a AP Calculus project, they discover that they have more in common than they thought. To me, their relationship was the best part of the book. I loved watching it grow and develop, and even struggle at times. They felt so real to me, and I felt like I was a part of their world.

Brigid Kemmerer's writing is astounding. I'm shameful to admit that this is my first read by her, but already I know I want to read everything she writes. The pace of this book was engaging and well done. Even the premise grabbed me. It has everything a YA contemporary should have: realistic relationships (romantic, friends, and otherwise), diversity, secrets, truth, real-life problems, and hope. And I appreciated that the swearing was kept to a minimum and that I didn't have to skip any sex scenes.

Overall, Call It What You Want was a wonderful, quick read for me. It's on my list of favorite YA contemporaries, and definitely one I would reread and recommend.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4.5
Overall: 4

Thank you Bloomsbury Publishing and NetGalley for the free review copy!  This book will be released June 25, 2019.

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment