Friday, May 24, 2019

Spin the Dawn: A Book Review




Spin the Dawn is a masterful story pitched as Mulan meets Project Runway. I agree with this for the first half of the book, but the second half was so much more powerful and complex. This book tells the story of a young girl who disguises herself as a boy to compete to be the master tailor for the emperor. She must make three dresses: one from the sun, one from the moon, and one from the stars. This spurs an epic adventure that tests her skills and determination. And I think it's now one of my favorite story adventures.

There's something for everyone to love in this book: magic, love, long journeys, sacrifices, discovery, fights, and the power of a young girl who can beat the odds with her skill and determination. All around, the story kept me engaged and I finished it in three days because I couldn't put it down. The characters are wonderfully real, burdened by their responsibilities and the deepest wishes of their hearts.

I loved Elizabeth Lim's writing style and I wouldn't hesitate before reading another one of her books. I'm despondent that I have to wait for the second book of this series, though. I need Maia's story to continue now! Until then, I'll recommend this one to anyone who loves fantasy, Chinese culture, and fairy tales.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4.5
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you Knopf Books for Young Readers (Random House) and NetGalley for the free review copy! This book will be released July 9th, 2019.

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment