Monday, July 6, 2020

The Orphan of Cemetery Hill: A Book Review


I've loved Hester Fox's previous books. They are perfectly gothic with mystery and danger and romance. Unfortunately, I thought this one wasn't as good as the others. The premise with a girl who speaks to the dead is interesting, but the book ultimately felt incomplete. I thought the romance fell through, the plot wasn't mysterious or tense like it needed to be, and I couldn't connect to any of the characters, especially because I didn't understand some of their actions and motivations. I'm very sad this one didn't live up to my expectations, but I certainly won't turn down another Hester Fox novel in the future. She's still a magnificent writer and creates wonderfully gothic worlds. Hopefully I'll like her next book better. 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, Graydon House and NetGalley, for the review copy!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment