Thursday, July 16, 2020

Above All Else: A Book Review


Above All Else tells the story of 18-year-old best friends who are about to make the climb to summit Mount Everest. The story mostly focuses on their emotions with each other and about climbing, though there are some cool parts about the skill and effort it takes to climb Everest. The first part of the book really captured my interest, but when Kate and Tate's romance suddenly started, it all fell apart for me. Both of them turned into highly emotional teenagers who liked to dwell on all their problems, and I lost interest. I think I was expecting climbing Mount Everest to be the highlight of this book, but instead it took a place on the back burner as they dealt with other things. Even so, I still found it interesting to read, and there is some solid character development.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 3
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3.5
Overall: 3

Thank you, Charlesbridge and NetGalley, for the review copy!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment