Wednesday, February 3, 2021

The Wide Starlight: A Book Review



The cover and the whimsical description of the Northern Lights and finding a lost mother immediately drew me to this book, The Wide Starlight. And sure enough, the beautiful descriptions of Norway match the beautiful cover. However, I didn't feel as connected to the story. It boils down to me not loving magical realism. I just can't seem to wrap my brain around it, which regrettably seems to be the point of magical realism. Anyways. I couldn't connect with Eli because I questioned some of her choices and thought processes, and the fairy tale stuff didn't seem to fit in with the world and aesthetic of the book sometimes. I enjoyed the flashback portions because those seemed solidly in place with the story. But everything else just didn't fit. Still engaging though, with beautiful scenery and some interesting characters.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, NetGalley and Razorbill, for the review copy!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment