Saturday, June 24, 2017

The Experience, Not the Workout


Sometimes running is about the experience, not the workout. It took me a long time to realize this. In my early running years, I felt guilty if my run did not have me sweating and hurting. The only point of running was to lose the calories I just ate or fulfill my 30-minutes of exercising for the day. Don’t get me wrong – it is extremely important to exercise daily and get those health benefits. However, I was too focused on the workout and missed out on some beautiful running experiences.

Running has the power to clear and relax the mind. It has the power to help us fully appreciate the beautiful world around us. It has the power to allow us to be in tune with our body - to listen to it and feel its strength. The best part is, you don't have to be running at a breathtaking pace to accomplish this.

This morning, I fought the battle of getting out of bed. My alarm went off, and I stubbornly dozed. My husband gave me a persistent push and I fell out of bed. I stumbled out the door and blinked at the morning light. It took me a while to start running. When I did, it was achingly slow. The phrase “lazy bones” flashed in my mind as I watched my legs struggle against the pavement. 

Yet, as I ran, there was something special. I started to have that running experience. My mind was relaxed. I knew how my body felt and noticed it was gaining strength and energy with every step. I started to notice the beautiful world of my neighborhood. There were pearl white roses, a soft light coming from behind the mountains, singing birds, and refreshingly cool air. It was a beautiful morning, and my lazy bones weren't going to stop me from appreciating it.

Even though my run was short and quite slow, it was about the experience, not the workout. After a busy and exhausting week, I needed to find myself again. Today, I found myself through appreciating the sweetness of a calm, cool morning.

This morning’s experience reminds me of two life-changing quotes from my hands down, all-time favorite running book, To Be a Runner by Martin Dugard. In it, there are several lines that perfectly explain the importance of this running experience.

“To run is to think. To think is to solve problems, dream, reflect, hope, mourn, pray, and grow. We focus so much on the way running tones our thighs and fortifies our hearts, but running is also a spiritual and emotional journey” (112).

“[Running is] not just exercise. It’s not just achievement. It’s a daily discipline that has nothing to do with speed, weight, social status,sexual orientation, political affiliation, where you live, what car you drive,or whether anyone anywhere loves you. It’s about the slow and painful process of being the best you can be. That’s why the first step out the door is always so hard. That’s when we choose between settling for average and being a superhero version of ourselves” (230).

It’s easy to settle for average. Every day, I try to find the superhero version of myself. And I realize, it comes from appreciating the experience – not just a running experience, but every experience of every day. I continue to find myself, and hope for a better me.

No comments:

Post a Comment