Monday, June 24, 2019

100 Days of Sunlight: A Book Review


Abbie Emmons's debut novel, 100 Days of Sunlight, is a charming love story between two teenagers: a temporarily blind girl and a boy with no legs. After Tessa becomes temporarily blind after a car crash, Weston begins to help her write poetry for her blog, not telling her that he doesn't have legs. But he can understand her disability like no one can, and their relationship grows from its rocky beginning. At the heart of this book, these two teenagers are figuring out how to love themselves, trust each other, and overcome their fears.

I love the idea of this book. The premise caught my eye, even if the plot was a bit predictable. The book started off pretty rocky for me though. I couldn't connect to the characters because they didn't seem believable--Weston was too happy and Tessa was too annoyingly mean. There were also pages of unnecessary dialogue and exposition that didn't move the plot along, so that was hard to muddle through. But by the middle of the book, the characters had changed enough that I was interested in finishing (even if the ending was a bit predictable, as I mentioned before).

If I had to choose a couple words to describe this book, it would be cute, slow moving, predictable, and conventional. Is it worth reading? I would say yes to those who live for contemporary.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 3
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3.5
Overall: 3

Thank you, NetGalley, for the ARC! This book will be released on August 7, 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment