Saturday, June 8, 2019

The Girl He Used to Know: A Book Review



I'm forever grateful to my bookish friends who lead me to books like this (Sarah, I'm pointing to you!). The Girl He Used to Know touched me so deeply, gave me so much hope and happiness, and made me sob after finishing it because I didn't know how to understand all the emotions I was feeling. If nothing else, this book made me FEEL, more than any other book I've read so far this year.

The characters in this book are so real that I often thought about them outside of reading. First and foremost, I believe this book is about Annika overcoming her struggles with autism and fear, and how Jonathan helps her and loves her unconditionally. They bring out the best in each other, and they struggle together. I think their relationship is one of my favorite literary relationships of all time. I can't get enough of it.

There are things in this book that I never saw coming. There were parts when I cried, laughed, and smiled because my heart was full. This is a book I will always remember, and probably reread every year. The writing is wonderfully compelling and easy to understand and get lost in. Tracey Garvis Graves wrote a remarkable book, one that both entertains and educates (especially about autism). This book is so dear to my heart and I can't give it anything but a solid five stars.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 5
Character Development: 5
Overall: 5

Would I recommend? Yes, yes, yes! Though content warnings include some swearing and explicit (but matter-of-fact) sex scenes.

Thank you, St. Martin's Press, for the review copy!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment