Thursday, January 6, 2022

I Must Betray You: A Book Review



I always know going into a Ruta Sepetys novel that I'm going to learn about a part of history I previously knew nothing about. I Must Betray You was no exception! Learning about communist Romania in 1989 was truly eye-opening. Sepetys paints a detailed picture about what life was like living there with all the betrayals and poverty. Unfortunately, I feel like painting this picture got in the way of deep character development and the plot in the first half of the book. While it was interesting learning about Romanian life, it felt very much like going through the motions for too long. The second half picked up a lot though, and it lived up to my expectations of lots of action and revolution! 

So while this wasn't my favorite Ruta Sepetys novel, it was still inspiring and taught me a lot about this little-known part of history. I really appreciated the author's note going deeper into the history as well as pictures from that time. An interesting historical fiction!

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Penguin Teen, for the ARC!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment