Friday, February 3, 2023

Give Me a Sign: A Book Review



What an important book for teenagers! I found this book so helpful for getting a glimpse into people's experiences being deaf or hard of hearing, especially as teenagers. It's interesting how they all have to find their own identities both in the hearing world and as part of the Deaf community. This book balances story and education on this subject really well.

I liked watching Lilah grow and find her place throughout this book, and I loved her interactions with others. She makes mistakes, but she's quick to own them and try better. The romance with Isaac is cute too, especially with the backdrop of summer camp. I wasn't completely satisfied with the ending, but overall I think this book is a great debut novel. I'd highly recommend for anyone looking to gain understanding and empathy for people who are deaf or hard of hearing.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Penguin Teen, for the arc!

Trigger/Content Warnings: deafness, blindness, and hard of hearing, and all the prejudice and uneducated words and actions of others that comes with that; accusation and wrongful police arrest; kisses

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment