Monday, June 12, 2023

Check & Mate: A Book Review



My chess-nerd heart adored this! I seriously want to whip out my chess board and play right now. This book really captured the game well, especially in a professional and competitive setting, and it added a lot of nuance to the plot and character relationships. 

The rivals to lovers was so entertaining! Nolan is a dark and brooding guy, but he's got a softness and nerdiness to him that I felt drawn to. I also loved his fascination with Mallory; it was the "he fell first" trope at its finest! I was expecting a bit more romance based on Hazelwood's other books, but I still thought their journey together was entertaining and meaningful.

Mallory is a smart, flawed character with a lot of responsibility on her shoulders. She is selfless to a fault, and I loved how this story was about her discovering herself again after some traumatic things in her past and putting aside everything for her family. She has great growth throughout, and her journey felt like the forefront of the story, even above the romance. I grew to love her, even for all her flaws.

I couldn't put this book down and read it in a day. I think Ali Hazelwood did something fresh and new, and I hope her readers will still enjoy this one, even if it's YA/NA instead of Adult.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Penguin Teen, for the arc!

Trigger/Content Warnings: parent cheating recounted, parent death recounted, parent chronic illness, swearing, innuendo, mild sexism and sexual harassment, detailed fade to black

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment