Monday, June 26, 2023

Emily Wilde's Map of the Otherlands


This series is proving to be absolutely delightful and cozy. I love the intimacy of the journal entry format, especially because Emily's voice is both witty and efficient. She has a unique way of seeing both the human world and faerie worlds, and I love seeing her relationship with Wendell through her eyes. 

I think I liked this sequel even better than the first book. Emily and Wendell are with each other almost throughout the whole story, so there's more romance and banter. There's also greater stakes and more tension with a race-against-time plot. I loved being in the Alps too. The setting comes alive through Heather Fawcett's writing as well as the different types of faeries. As I read, I feel like I'm a faerie scholar learning from Emily Wilde as if she were real. 

I can't wait for the next book in the series. I'm really pleased with where the story is going, and I think the next book will be the best of all!

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 5
Character Development: 5
Overall: 5

Thank you, Random House Del Rey and NetGalley, for the arc!

Trigger/Content Warnings: poisoning, monster and fighting violence, very vague fade to black

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment