Friday, June 2, 2023

Immortal Longings: A Book Review


From reading the synopsis, this book sounds fascinating. It has a Hunger Games plot, an enemies-to-lovers romance, unique body-jumping idea, and lots of politics interweaving through everything. There's some tense action as well as plot twists—especially with that cliffhanger at the end. 

However, the story and the romance didn't grab me like I wanted it too. There's lots to unpack about the politics, world, and body jumping, and I don't feel like I truly have a grasp on the world. Also, King Kasa was a weak villain. We got almost no page time with him, so I couldn't feel hatred (or any other emotion) towards him. 

The romance was such a slow burn that then turned into lust, and then suddenly they were dropping the "love" word left and right. I don't know if I missed something in the middle, but I needed way more growth with them together for it to be believable for me. Because of this, the ending felt lackluster. 

I'm still intrigued with the world and the ending that I'll definitely consider picking up the next book, especially because I love Chloe Gong's other series. But this one didn't speak to me. 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, Gallery Books and NetGalley, for the arc!

Trigger/Content Warnings: fighting violence and death, poisoning, starvation, mass killing, injuries, one open door scene

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment