Saturday, July 1, 2023

Her Radiant Curse: A Book Review



How cool that we get a prequel book for Six Crimson Cranes! This book was fascinating for that reason—to see Channi's journey and how she ends up as queen in Six Crimson Cranes. For the most part, I enjoy Elizabeth Lim's writing and her ability to write unique and interesting fairytale stories. And I was drawn into this story right away with the first chapter.

However, I felt the tension dissipate as Channi's journey went on. The plot felt oversimplified to me with rescuing her sister. And I'm not sure how I feel about the hint of a romance between a human and a dragon. There were some cool action fights though, and I love Channi's strength and confidence in her serpent face.

Overall, I think I expected more from this prequel, especially her relationship with Shiori's father prior to Six Crimson Cranes. But it still provided excellent backstory to Channi's curse and the lore of the world.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, Knopf Books for Young Readers and NetGalley, for the arc!

Trigger/Content Warnings: poisoning, snake bites, child abuse, monster/fighting violence and death

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here  

No comments:

Post a Comment