Wednesday, July 26, 2023

The Phoenix King: A Book Review


I first read this book when it was called The Boy with Fire, self published by Aparna Verma, and I loved it! You can read my original review here. Now, two years later, I've found that my reading tastes have changed a little, and I can't quite say I loved rereading this book.

I still loved the fire-bending, the politics, and Leo's perspective and villain origin story. Every time Leo's chapters came up, I was on the edge of my seat ready to watch his character development. However, Elena and Yassen seemed a little vanilla to me this time. We don't really know Yassen's past, Elena is the typical naive princess, and they both don't do much during the first half of the book. I also wanted to see a little more romantic development to believe in their relationship by the end. 

Overall, I still think it's an entertaining story and has a lot of potential to be a good series, but it didn't hold up for me over the years. Perhaps if it was changed to be YA it would do better. 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, Orbit Books, for the arc! The Phoenix King will be released August 29, 2023.

Trigger/Content Warnings: fire wounds, battle violence and death, mass murder, electric shock torture, one vague open door

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!  

No comments:

Post a Comment