Thursday, July 13, 2023

The Invisible Hour: A Book Review


There are three reasons why I wanted to read The Invisible Hour. One, the gorgeous cover. I love redheads on covers. Two, the cult vibes. Three, the ties to The Scarlet Letter, a classic I'm fascinated with. Unfortunately, this book was widely different than I thought it would be.

I think the book tried to be too many things at once: a cult thriller, but also women's fiction, but also a time-travel romance. It was too much in only 252 pages. Everything felt rushed, like this book could have been told in two well-developed books of their own (one book for the cult thriller and one for the time-travel romance). 

I'm also not the right audience. If I'd known there was time travel, I wouldn't have picked it up. Me and time travel don't get along. I was thrown for a loop when it happened, and it didn't fit the first half of the book. And I absolutely abhor the idea of how going back in time can alter the future and rewrite history. It gives me so much anxiety.

Anyways, all this to say that if this book focused on the mother/daughter relationships and stuck with the cult plot with mild ties to The Scarlet Letter, I would have loved it so much more. HOWEVER, I think this book does have a place with the right audience, because it does explore some wonderful themes, and its plot is truly unique. It just didn't work for me.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 2
Character Development: 2
Overall: 2

Thank you, Atria Books, for the arc! The Invisible Hour will be released August 15, 2023.

Trigger/Content Warnings: pregnancy, birth, abortion mentioned, cult community, abuse, stalking, death of a parent, closed door

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!  

No comments:

Post a Comment