Tuesday, April 30, 2024

The Rom-Commers: A Book Review


There's something in Katherine Center's romcoms that makes me devour them SO fast. The Rom-Commers was no different! I binged this so hard. I never wanted to stop reading it, and even when I had to stop reading, I thought about the characters constantly. I adored this story and its characters.

I loved the setup of two screenwriters writing a romcom together and falling in love along the way! It made for a unique story and the perfect excuse for forced proximity. The two main characters were so vibrant in my mind. I appreciated Emma's wild red hair and her witty, dependable personality. I had a soft spot for Charlie's grumpy but kind demeanor. And I loved the journey they took together discovering what love looked like for them. 

As expected for Katherine Center's book, this book dealt with some tough themes. Emma and Charlie went through some really hard times. But that's what I love about Center's romcoms. The banter and chemistry was delicious, but it was made even more special though the hard times the characters overcame. And while I had some issues with the ending (no spoilers here), I really appreciated this story and would absolutely recommend!

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 4.5
Character Development: 5
Overall: 5

Thank you, St. Martin's Press, for the arc!
Releases June 11, 2024

Trigger/Content Warnings: death of a parent (recounted), chronic injury, care-taking, cancer (recounted), kisses, near drowning

No comments:

Post a Comment