Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Beneath a Crescent Shadow: A Book Review



What really drew me into this book is its medieval Serbian setting. The story is rich with historical details, and I was fascinated with the culture and politics of the time. Add in marriage of convenience? I'm a goner. I loved the circumstances that brought Konstantin and Suzana together, and their relationship is so sweet as it develops. There's great tension in the first half of the story with an attempted-murder mystery and Suzana overcoming the trauma of her past. 

However, the last half fell a little flat for me. The romantic tension dropped off pretty immediately after the midway point, and that left Konstantin to make some self-sabotaging decisions. In short, I had no patience for his stupidity. The ending does have a good climax though, and the story ends well. I like the set up for Sowards's next book with Ivan. I'll definitely give it a chance!

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, Shadow Mountain, for the arc!
Releases June 4, 2024

Trigger/Content Warnings: past child abuse, past and present (off page) sexual assault, attempted murder, violence and death, kidnapping

No comments:

Post a Comment