Sunday, September 22, 2024

Heir: A Book Review


What a joy to be back in this world from Sabaa Tahir! The magic, politics, and cultures in this world are so expansive and interesting, so I'm pleased she is exploring more of this world with new and old characters.

It really warmed my heart to see characters from An Ember in the Ashes series again. There was a good balance in how much we see them and how they influence events, but they also took a backseat so the new generation could take the spotlight. All the new POVs were interesting, and I love seeing them meet up through the story.

The plot is tense, there's some great character growth, and of course there's a cliffhanger at the end. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it whenever I picked it up. However, I never felt fully sucked into it. I often forgot about the story when I put it down and never felt the urgency to see what happens next. (I'm not sure if this is the fault of my weird reading mood or the book.) But I'm still looking forward to the sequel!

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Penguin Teen, for the arc!

Trigger/Content Warnings: one vague open door, graphic violence and murder (including children), abuse, torture, sexual assault (vague on-page), genocide

No comments:

Post a Comment