Sunday, June 2, 2019

The Tiger at Midnight: A Book Review



I've been longing for a young adult fantasy focused on Indian culture and mythology ever since The Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck. And this book, by Swati Teerdhala, fulfilled every longing, every expectation, and rekindled my love of Indian-themed books. The best part? It's a trilogy! I'll be waiting not-so-patiently for the next books to come out.

Besides the rich Indian culture and mythology, I loved the characters. Kunal is an endearing character—easy to love, understand, and root for. I think it's because he is incredibly loyal and has goodness deep in his bones. It's interesting to watch his character development as his world crumbles around him. Esha, on the other hand, is as morally gray as they come. She seeks revenge and is a fierce fighter. But she too is easy to love and root for. Together, Kunal and Esha have an amazing, dynamic relationship as they play cat and mouse and discover secrets that could threaten everything they know. Their witty banter wasn't cliche (I so hate cliche, witty banter. But theirs was believable and clever), the passion between them was undeniable, and the issues holding them apart was captivating. The characters are the strongest element of this book, and that's the reason why I give this a solid five stars. I want to return to Kunal and Esha again soon, and can't wait to continue their story.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 5
Character Development: 5
Overall: 5

Would I recommend? Yes! Especially if you love the enemies-to-lovers trope, mythical fantasy, Indian culture, political intrigue, and slow-burning romance.

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment