Friday, May 14, 2021

The Shadow of the Gods: A Book Review


Now this book is an epic tale worthy of the Vikings. I felt like I was completely transported into the Viking world. It has daring and gruesome battle scenes, some interesting characters, and just the right amount of creatures, witchcraft, gods, and prophecy. I also appreciated how much Viking research went into this book. As far as I know, a lot of the elements in this book are accurate, and it was cool to see them in fiction. It really is an immersive book. 

I will say that this book is dense. To me, it read a lot like The Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia. John Gwynne has a detailed, adult style that made it hard for me to read a lot in one sitting. Also, his writing style made me feel a bit removed from the characters. It was like watching a movie without being able to go deep into a character's head. That being said, I still cared for the characters and their goals, and I will definitely be picking up the next book. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT. 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 3.5
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Orbit Books, for the ARC!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here

No comments:

Post a Comment