Sunday, July 10, 2022

Coven: A Book Review


I love the idea of graphic novels, but I'm always disappointed with the execution. IDK if I'm just not finding the right ones or this genre just doesn't vibe with me. Either way, I didn't love this one. 

My biggest issue was the pacing. It was so slow and had tons of talking scenes. I would've loved to see more magic and action scenes, especially from a graphic novel. I also didn't really see a lot of character growth. The MC just did what her new teenage friends told her to do. And I also wish the world was expanded a bit more. It's a fascinating concept with secret covens of witches who have different powers, but it still felt lackluster. Alas, this one wasn't for me. 

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 3
Plot/Movement: 2
Character Development: 2
Overall: 2

Thank you, Penguin Teen and NetGalley, for the ARC!

Content/Trigger Warnings: death and injury due to magic

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment