Sunday, July 31, 2022

The Bluff: A Book Review


The Bluff is my second Emma St. Clair book, and idk. I don't think her writing is for me? But I say that hesitatingly because I can imagine liking her writing if I'm in the mood for a silly, fluffy romcom, which apparently I wasn't in the mood for this week. But anyways. Her silly metaphors drive me insane, and I'm kinda getting annoyed of the Graham family and how mushy they are. I need some grit in my romance, so this all just felt too fluffy for me. 

I did like the character growth of both James and Winnie. I just didn't like how it didn't happen together in their relationship. The third-act break up was a bit dumb too, and I kept getting frustrated with James and how he handles things throughout the book. I liked the grump/sunshine trope, but James was too much of a grump with little-to-no redeeming qualities. 

That being said, the plot was entertaining, and I did feel like James and Winnie had great chemistry. I didn't hate this book—I just felt annoyed while being entertained at the same time. Is that possible? I still plan to read more Emma St. Clair books to give her another try. Hopefully my mood will be more forgiving next time!

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 2
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, Emma St. Clair and NetGalley, for the review copy!

For more ratings and reviews and to see what I'm currently reading, visit my Goodreads page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment