Friday, February 9, 2024

A Feather So Black: A Book Review


What I loved most about this book is its atmosphere. It has a lot of One Dark Window vibes mixed with a similar plot with Swan Lake. I'm always on the lookout for a good Swan Lake retelling, so I loved that the plot centered around this! I also liked how all the characters had secrets. It gave the story some good tension. 

Unfortunately, I didn't love the pacing. Nothing much happened. The action scenes were few and far between. The pacing felt disjointed with the characters entering the fae world only once a month for a night, and then all they did was talk. And even with all the talking, I feel like there should have been more reveals and more clarity on the fae world and its history. I got too confused with the info dumps. 

As for the characters, I found Fia to be an interesting character who's battling a nature versus nurture aspect of herself. But I didn't like how her love triangle (maybe love square?) developed. I usually enjoy love triangles, but this one felt weird and awkward. Alas, this wasn't the book for me.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 4
Plot/Movement: 3
Character Development: 3
Overall: 3

Thank you, Orbit, for the arc!
Releases March 12, 2024

Trigger/Content Warnings: violence, mild self harm, child abuse, child kidnapping, a few open door scenes

No comments:

Post a Comment