Monday, February 5, 2024

A Story Spun in Scarlet: A Book Review


No one is more surprised than I am. I really, really wanted to like this. I've heard such great things about Dugan's books, and almost everyone I know loves this book! I just didn't click with the writing style. There are tons of long-winded, flowery descriptions for even the most basic things. It repeatedly pulled me out of the story and put me to sleep a couple times. I also thought some of the sentence structure was really confusing, and I had to reread at times. I also struggled with the pacing of the action scenes. The stories told during the action gave me whiplash, and I had trouble switching from the story in italics to the characters' actions. As a result of struggling through the writing, I didn't feel any empathy towards the characters and their goals. 

Obviously, I am the odd one out with this book, so take my review for a grain of salt. I'm DNFing it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment