Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Queen of Shifting Sands: A Book Review



This book has all the elements of a fantasy I love: a desert setting, forced-proximity romance, secrets to uncover, hidden identity, and political tension. And have you seen the cover?! It's no surprise that this was one of my most anticipated releases this year. 

Right away, this book starts out with a ton of tension. Lystra's whole world turns upside down, and I appreciated her journey with feeling her grief but also leaning on her strength for the good of her people. I love loyal, strong characters. Elerek's world also turns upside down, and I love his underdog story. I also appreciate how different he is from other male main characters in other books with being in a wheelchair and being untouchable from his curse. His trials add a deeper layer of complexity to the plot and the romance. 

Overall, I think this is a great debut. The tension did drag a bit in the middle, and I do wish there was more romance (Elerek being untouchable did not help the romance lol). I hope there's more romance to come in the next book. Otherwise, I love the writing style, world building, and unique characters. I can't wait to see where the next book leads us, especially after that cliffhanger ending!

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 4
Character Development: 4
Overall: 4

Thank you, Whimsical Publishing, for the gifted ebook!
Releases March 12, 2024

Trigger/Content Warnings: fighting violence and death

No comments:

Post a Comment