Friday, March 22, 2024

A Letter to the Luminous Deep: A Book Review



This incredible book took me completely by surprise. I was not expecting to love it as much as I did! From the beginning, this book pulled me in with its letter format, a tense mystery to solve, and its beautiful (almost academic) writing. The story, the world, the writing, and the characters were all utterly unique to me, and I was intrigued all the way through.

Sometimes there's a risk in writing all letters—risk of losing important information not included in letters, risk of readers' boredom, etc. However, Sylvie Cathrall is an absolute expert in how she manages the format. There's extensive world building to understand, and she utilizes letters to do it in a practical way. I also found the tension to be strong throughout with gathering evidence towards solving a mystery. And the characters! I love that we got all their points of view through letters.

This first book in the series sets itself up for massive potential. It has all the science-academia vibes with a breathtaking underwater world and a hint of fantasy/sci-fi/dystopian all rolled into one. There truly is no other book like this one! I can see how some people wouldn't like it with its more formal, academic writing and slow set-up. But if you give it a chance, it has the chance to captivate you and take you for an unforgettable ride.

Writing Aesthetic/Style: 5
Plot/Movement: 5
Character Development: 5
Overall: 5

Thank you, Orbit, for the arc!
Releases April 23, 2024

Trigger/Content Warnings: near drowning, tense underwater scenes, death of family members

No comments:

Post a Comment